Thursday 16 June 2011

Macaroni Cheese

I just realised that, yet again, I have cooked something with cheese! This is mainly because I tend to make an effort to use up all the ingredients in the fridge. And today it was time for the Stilton. I always use blue cheese for my Macaroni Cheese. I think it works really well; salty, spicy blue cheese, with velvety, creamy sauce and filling pasta.

This dish can easily be done with other cheese (Cheddar, Gruyere etc), but if you use something other than Stilton, add some mustard for some spice and to cut through the richness of the cheese. I also love using mushrooms in this - they add texture and really work with the Stilton. Anyway, here follows the recipe - I seem to be unable to babble today, I am too exhausted from Missy's latest growth spurt/ teething or whatever this is...Babies are a mystery!



Serves 2

250 g pasta (rigatoni, penne or macaroni)
200 g mushrooms
150 g Stilton or other strong cheese
40 g butter
30 g flour
300ml milk
pepper
handful of walnuts

Boil pasta till just under the al dente point. In the meantime fry off the mushrooms in 10g of butter till soft and put aside. Melt the rest of the butter on a low heat and add the flour. Mix together thoroughly and allow for the flour to cook out a little. Then add the milk slowly till you get a loose white sauce. Add the crumbled Stilton and the mushrooms (along with their juices) and grind some pepper. Mix the pasta with the sauce and put in an oven-proof dish. Chop the walnuts finely and add on top to create a 'breadcrumb' effect crust. Cook in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Yumilicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment