Saturday 30 July 2011

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Chips (BLW)

I am finding introducing missy to solids a very exciting time. I get to see her exploring new textures and flavours and I also get to eat healthier too. No added sugar, no salt (or at least not until I add some later on my plate...oups!). I bought some sweet potato the other day and was wondering what I could do with it, that would not involve steaming or boiling it for her. I thought chips sounded interesting - in the oven of course, as a healthier option.

She really did enjoy eating them and I have to say that so did I. They tasted almost like a cinnamon fritter or something. They could easily be served as a snack, side dish or even a desert. I didn't try it this time around, but I think that they would also work well with a honey and lemon syrup and some walnuts (obviously avoid giving babies honey until they have reached 12 months). That's me thinking out loud... :)



Serves 4 (as a side dish or snack) plus a baby

4 sweet potatoes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbs oil (I used grape seed oil, as it is less flavoured than olive oil, but any oil will do)

Cut up the potatoes into centimetre thick chips. Toss them in a baking tray with the cinnamon and oil and put in a preheated oven at 170 (fan oven). Cook for 20-30 minutes, until cooked through and fairly crisp (they do not go super crispy, like potato chips). Enjoy warm or at room temperature and watch your little one devour them with gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment