Thursday 26 May 2011

Vegetarian week

I 've seen and read a few things about it being vegetarian week this week and its got me thinking about my own diet. Even though I am a proud carnivore, I do think that people in the UK eat way too much meat. I think that people should be much more aware of where their food comes from and especially be aware of how the animals that produce the meat they so enjoy are reared and killed. In order to get good meat (both in terms of quality and in terms of animal welfare) you have to pay a higher price for it. So unless you have money pouring out of your pocket, then meat can and should only be enjoyed a couple of times a week - if that! I know that my husband and I only eat meat once a week, and we often opt for the cheaper cuts anyway (beef cheek, pork belly, feather blade etc) and a chicken is a special treat and we make it last for at least 6 meals of the week with all the leftovers.

What I am trying to say is that vegetarianism is definitely valid, but you can still make a difference to animals and the environment (and your health) without necessarily becoming a vegetarian, but by sourcing your meat responsibly and by planning your meals, so that your beloved meat goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment