Friday 8 July 2011

The 30 minute window

As I am writing this, I am holding my breath that missy naps for her full 30 minutes. At the moment, anything less is expected, anything more is a miracle! Apparently this is fairly normal behaviour for a 5 month old, but it somehow doesn't make me feel any better! I love my daughter to bits and she is great in every way - except for sleeping! She used to be! Which is why I am finding it so difficult to deal with now... I think she is too eager to discover the world - the whole world in one day!

It took me 30 minutes to get her to sleep now (sometimes it takes an hour and a half!). And all that to get 30 minutes free time out of it! I thought babies could sleep anywhere, anytime! Oh well, I don't want to be one of those mothers that always complains, though it is hard to seem upbeat, when you have spent two hours in the early hours of the morning trying to convince the little one that it is still nighttime! OK, I will stop moaning now!

The main reason why I started writing this post - other than to share my pain with the world - is to explain why so many of the recipes I post take around 30 minutes to prepare and cook (though not to eat too!). That is often all I have when I put her to bed at night before she wakes again. So I need to have the food all ready to go and then be able to eat it in the next 30 minute stint! Genius!

Honestly, I do love cooking more intricate meals and I love trying new recipes, but at the moment I just don't seem to have time! It is also a slight problem when you are trying to cook quietly! A few months ago - I think it was for the Banana Bread Recipe - I tried to use the mixer quietly! It worked for the creaming of the butter, but not the rest of it! Silly, I know!

I do try and cook more exciting things on the weekends, but the weekends also end up being used to explore markets , restaurants, cafes and shops, so it all becomes very complicated! The reason why I seem so apologetic, is because I was hoping to be able to post something every couple of days, but that estimate was optimistic! I hope you can forgive me, if you are looking for frequent inspiration, but please feel free to look at past recipes! I will do my best to do more cooking, or at least take a picture of my curry take-away, when I can't be bothered to cook at all!

Have a great weekend, with plenty of food! x

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the blog called The Naptime Chef? They are all recipes that can be cooked while a child is napping!

    ReplyDelete