Wednesday 10 August 2011

St David Coffee House - SE23

You are probably wondering how it is I managed to visit a Coffee House in Forest Hill, when I am in fact currently in Athens... that is a very valid question. The answer, however, is not that interesting; I visited St David a day before I left for Athens (amongst half a dozen times I have been there previously!). This time I managed to get pictures and everything - how accomplished of me!

I first heard about this place from Di (the owner of Jacks SE22), so my husband and I went to check out the coffee a few months ago. We kind of got hooked and would use the excuse that baby needed the extra sleep after her swimming on Saturday mornings and drove there to get coffee (and hot chocolate for me, as no decaf available). It worked for everyone concerned; Missy would get an extra 30 minutes sleep in the car and we would get our morning drinks and pastry to take away.



We eventually decided a trip to sit in was due, as we noticed a Sourdough toastie with Montgomery Cheddar (from Neal's Yard, no less!) on the blackboard. How exciting! Melted Montgomery Cheddar - can it get any better? Well, after sharing one with my husband, I can say that it can get better: there are chopped spring onions in there too and it comes with a lovely fresh salad of tomatoes, peppers and onions to cut through the gooey, rich, melting cheese. Dreamy stuff, really.



We also ordered a ham and mustard sandwich, which was perfectly suited for the hot weather of that day. Cold ham, cold, chunky tomato, crunchy lettuce and mustard for the kick. I can't say I am a big fan of ham sandwiches usually, but this one was worth the money and the space in my stomach.

My husband ordered a macchiato, which was very good (they use Square Mile coffee beans and know how to get the best out of them!). Coffee there is consistently good, which is more than you can say for most coffee shops in London. Their cakes and pastries are good too and there is always good variety, just to make indecisive people's (like us) lives that little bit harder.  Last time we had an apricot frangipane tart to share. It was fluffy and buttery and perfectly sweet from the fruit.



All in all, I really love this place and would go much more frequently on my own if it didn't involve walking up a great big hill (you would have guessed from the name Forest Hill, right?). The interior is fantastic, with lots of vintage everywhere you look. I always feel like I am visiting an aunt in Greece, in a good way! It is very welcoming to families and babies and the owners and staff are always helpful and friendly. If you are ever in South East London, pay them a visit.


5 David's Rd SE23 3EP

No comments:

Post a Comment