Friday 5 August 2011

Off for my Summer Holidays!

The day has finally come! I am going back to Greece for the last 3 weeks of Summer. I am looking forward to it for some relaxation (plenty of hands on help from the Big Hungry Family there) and also for the food! Yes, what else would I be thinking of?! The only thing that scares me a little is the flight over with missy, on my own. It is all planned out in my head and I have plenty of distractions for her with me, but it all depends on her mood on the day, so wish me luck! And I apologise to the person sat next to me on the plane in advance (I too used to be one of those people who would tut if I saw someone with a baby sat anywhere near me... the irony).

I am, of course, going to be taking plenty of pictures and blogging as many recipes as possible. I imagine that 99% of the food I shall be consuming will be Cephalonian recipes. I mention this because, just with all countries in the world, there are many differences in regional cooking. Cephalonian food is influenced by Greek (obviously) as well as Italian and British (the island was occupied by the Venetians and the British till 1864 - there is a little history lesson for you...).There is plenty of garlic involved as well as lots of cinnamon and plenty of herbs. One of the famed dishes is the Cephalonian Meat Pie. I hope I will be able to dedicate a whole post on just this recipe!

The only issue that may come between me and you for the next few weeks is the Internet connection (or lack of) on the island. But, push come to shove, I will post them all once I am back in Athens or London. I promise plenty of delicious family recipes, lots of pictures and hopefully some stories from our time out there. I wish you all a lovely rest of the Summer. x

No comments:

Post a Comment