Friday 28 October 2011

Creamy Sausage Penne

Yes, I know. I have been awful with posting this past month. I have to say, though, my excuse is fairly legitimate; I have been job hunting and trying to settle Missy into childcare. Both of them hard work, especially with a munchkin that is going through a bit of separation anxiety - poor thing!

I have been pretty active in the kitchen - I even made some more bread - and I have even been taking some pictures. I just haven't had any time to type or upload anything. Hopefully I ll get a bit better again soon! We have had some pretty nice meals too - including a lovely cauliflower puree with pan fried scallops. Yum! This recipe is a little easier on the wallet, however. You can buy any good quality pork sausage for this, just make sure that the flavourings in the sausage actually work with pasta and cream! I just bought some simple Gloucester Old Spot sausages.

Serves 2

250g penne
2-3 good quality pork sausages
1 onion
dried chili flakes or 1 whole fresh chili, chopped
half a glass of white wine
1 tsp of tomato paste
150ml double cream
a few leaves of fresh basil
olive oil
pepper
Grated Parmesan

Chop the onion into thin slivers and fry off lightly in a little olive oil. Once softened put the heat up and add the sausage meat - removed from the skin. Break up the sausage meat in the pan and brown it off. In the meantime, boil the pasta. Once the meat has browned add the chili and the white wine. Once the wine has reduced by half, add the tomato paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the cream. Cook until the pasta is ready. Finally add the torn basil leaves, a good grind of pepper and the pasta. Stir and serve with a little grated Parmesan.



No comments:

Post a Comment