Sunday 27 November 2011

Salmon Teriyaki

I love Japanese food. It has a comforting effect on me, yet is light to eat. But, like many Asian cuisines, I find it a little intimidating to cook at home. I don't know the raw ingredients as well and don't feel too sure about how to treat them. I mean, I have made sushi rolls at home on many occasions - often vegetarian ones, when I couldn't get good enough fish. It was a monthly treat during my times in Oxford, with my sushi-obsessed housemate.

Last week I decided to brave a very well-known Japanese dish: teriyaki. I discovered another great fishmonger locally and thought I would give their salmon a test, by marinating it in the teriyaki sauce and cooking it medium. Easy, healthy, delicious dinner. I served it with edamame beans (ready peeled frozen ones).



Serves 2

2 fillets of salmon (around 250g each)

For the teriyaki sauce:
1/2 cup of mirin (all major supermarket and Asian supermarkets should have it)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp of sugar

Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a pan, mix well and bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and allow to reduce slightly. Turn off after a few minutes and leave to cool.

Once cooled place in a dish with the salmon and leave to marinade (ideally for at least 1-2 hours). Once marinaded, put a frying pan over medium heat. Add the salmon fillets with the marinading juices and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side (longer if you do not like your fish medium). Turn the heat down if the mixture is bubbling too much or put the heat up if the mixture is not bubbling at all. You should have a slightly thickened sauce at the end. Serve the salmon with some boiled edamame beans and pour the rest of the sauce on top. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Love the beans! I could just eat them...go on, I'd take a fillet of salmon on the side :)
    Well done, I hope it tasted as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks! It did taste pretty great actually. So much that I had it twice in one week! Edamame are addictive, by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great and I love teriaki, I might just have to give it a go, not sure if the kids would eat it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if the kids like fish, they would like it - its very sweet!Maybe reduce the soy sauce content slightly... x

    ReplyDelete