Tuesday 2 August 2011

Banana French Toast (BLW)

When I looked into the possibility of following Baby Led Weaning I was warned about the potential messiness that it can cause. NOTHING, though, could have prepared me for what it is actually like! There are all sorts of things covering her chair, Oatabix on the walls and I tend to discover bits of food under her chin, behind the ears, on the back of her head and in the belly button - yes you read this right! It is all part of the fun and I am relieved I will be off to Greece for a few weeks soon, where she can be as messy as she likes, as we will be eating outdoors and she will be naked.

Despite knowing that it is all part of the fun, my OCD self cannot quite cope with the idea of curry on the ceiling, so I am trying to keep to drier things - hence fish keftedes and this french toast. This is until the feeding is a little more established and her aim and concentration skills improve a little more (though throwing bits of food on the floor is part of the learning curve, as I understand it).

This is a pretty easy recipe (ready in 15minutes from start to eating) and is a good option for a family breakfast - though the adults may like some crispy bacon on the side. The banana in this dish replaces the need for sugar and therefore makes it a little healthier.



Serves 2 plus hungry baby

2 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk
3/4 of a banana
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4-5 slices of bread (or as many as you need to use up all the liquid)
1 tbs of butter

Whisk the eggs and the milk in a bowl. Add the banana and mash it in, then add the cinnamon and mix all together. Dip each slice of bread in the mixture on both sides and place in a preheated frying pan once the butter has melted. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through.



She seems to enjoy most things bread related and finds it really easy to chew and swallow. This was definitely a successful recipe and one that I will be making again soon, especially as it was also a hit with me and my husband!


No comments:

Post a Comment